Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Rediscovering Miniatures!


Inspired by a friend's Facebook post last week professing his love for dollhouses, I poked around a little on the internet and discovered that there was a miniature shop in my neighborhood that had opened earlier this spring. Immediately, I knew I was going to check it out on my next day off. So, last Friday, I stopped by. It is a tiny shop (350 square feet) for tiny things! I looked at everything and ended up buying a few magazines.

The rest of that day and the next, I was glued to those magazines and to checking out various miniature/dollhouse websites I found in the magazines. It brought back all of my love for miniatures that had started for me in elementary school. From a young age, I always loved tiny things. In high school, I had even embarked on building a Houseworks Thornhill dollhouse that I never completed. I had a subscription to Nutshell News and used to go to the occasional miniature show as well. But, life progressed, and I ended up selling my unfinished house and miniatures.

What was so great about rediscovering miniatures last week was the immediate feeling it gave me. I was like, "Oh! I forgot all about dollhouses, but this seems like the PERFECT hobby!" After much obsession, I've finally decided what project I want to undertake. I almost chose a 1/24 scale Thornhill since I had loved that one so much before, but instead I decided to stick with 1/12 house to start with. There is a Real Good Toys Classic Bungalow that just shipped out today, and I should get it sometime next week.

I've already been planning so much about what I would like to do with it. I've also run across a couple other bloggers who have posted photos of the same kit they have worked on, which has given me a lot of inspiration. I'll keep track of how the project goes on my blog here, and see where things lead. But I'm super excited! Can't wait to get started on building!

No comments:

Post a Comment